partially quoted by Mr. Njeru: Episodes Of Police Killings Of Citizens Especially UnARmed Tho may be hundreds of miles or feet apart and technically had nothing to do with each other. But beneath them Are the same rotten root: a spectacularly dysfunctional national police force





Cammerin Boyd


Intitative W is asking that before any law enforcemnet shoots to kill

that they use thier trained expertise marksmenship to

aim for a non-lethal part of the body allowing

the pain from hot lead to stabilize the "threat"

ask your self many bullets would it take for the average person, to listen to a request before they are shot dead ?









The Compilation To Come Entitled "The Warning Shot" Coming This Summer





Track 1 By Esbee


Created By Universal Artist Esbee Entitled "Get What They Deserve"

Click Here To Hear This Track It Takes A Few Min's To Down Load


Read How People State To State Get Killed By police And Are Unarmed

San Francisco Officers Mistakenly Kill Unarmed Man


Richmond CA police KILL Ricks Son




NEW YORK - One of two men wounded in a hail of 50 police bullets that killed their unarmed friend said he feared he would never survive the ordeal."Thought I was dead. Thought I was going to die," Dominic Benefield, 23, told NY1-TV shortly before he was released from a hospital Tuesday. Showing bullet wounds and stitches from surgery that left a rod in one of his legs, Benefield pleaded for a fair resolution to the case, which has sparked an outpouring of complaints about police conduct. The shooting left a 23-year-old man, Sean Bell, dead on his wedding day. It seriously wounded Benefield and another friend, both attending Bell's bachelor party at a strip club. All three men were unarmed. "One of my friends is dead; another one is shot up. I'm shot up. We need justice," Benefield told the television station during a hospital bedside interview. "I don't want anyone to go through this."Police have said that five undercover detectives and officers investigating the strip club for prostitution and drugs fired a total 50 shots outside the club. After leaving the hospital, Benefield joined his attorney and relatives at a meeting the Rev. Al Sharpton had convened with political, religious, labor and community leaders. "I'd like to say I thank Al Sharpton and the community for sticking by me," Benefield said as he sat in a wheelchair, flanked by his mother, pregnant fiancee and lawyer. Benefield has disputed the police version of the Nov. 25 shooting. He didn't address the investigation Tuesday evening, but Sharpton and other activists announced a mass march, dubbed Shopping for Justice. It is set for noon on Dec. 16. in midtown Manhattan. "Collectively, we are tired of seeing these abuses," said Sharpton. "It will be a peaceful march, it will be a silent march, but we expect to bring out hundreds of people in the middle of that shopping district to say, during shopping time, 'We cannot have business as usual.' "Benefield, 23, and Joseph Guzman, 31, were badly wounded in the shooting, which occurred as they sat in Bell's car. The first undercover detective to open fire has insisted, through his lawyer, that he believed Guzman was pulling a gun when he opened fire on the car. No gun was found. Guzman remains hospitalized. Before the shooting, after the undercover detective followed the three men to their car, Bell's vehicle hit one officer and an unmarked police car. The two survivors, their lawyer said, have told prosecutors that none of the officers identified themselves as police before opening fire. The shooting has generated widespread outrage, especially among black New Yorkers. The victims were all black; two of the officers were black, two were white and one was Hispanic. The Rev. Calvin Butts of the Abyssinian Baptist Church, who attended Tuesday's meeting and supports the Shopping for Justice march, went a step further and suggested boycotting retailers. He also said a call for the resignation of police Commissioner Ray Kelly was a "strong possibility." "The changes that have to be made have to be systemic, and many believe that starts at the top, that means Kelly," said Butts, who recently complained of mistreatment by police during a traffic stop. Police representatives said Kelly had no immediate response.
Associated Press writers Marcus Franklin and Tom Hays contributed to this report.

Man Dies in San Francisco Police 'Body Wrap'
April, 4 @ 03:22 GMT

Julio Armando Ayala died in the custody of the San Francisco police after being restrained with a "body wrap." Police were summoned to the area after getting reports of the man knocking on hotel room doors and screaming. After restraining him, the police say he just stopped breathing. The incident is being investigated.

Off-duty NYPD sergeant kills man accused of stabbing colleague

YONKERS, N.Y. -- An off-duty New York Police Department sergeant shot and killed a man who had stabbed another NYPD officer when a disturbance in a Yonkers bar spilled out onto the sidewalk early Wednesday, police said.

NYPD Kills Again!

The Plainclothes Murder of Patrick Dorismond

Revolutionary Worker #1048, March 26, 2000

As we go to press: The NYPD has shot down another unarmed Black man in cold blood.

This time it was in midtown Manhattan, after midnight, early on Thursday morning, March 16. Patrick Dorismond, 25 years old, son of Haitian immigrants, went with a fellow security guard to have some beers after work at the Wakamba Bar. Afterwards, they were waiting outside for a cab.

Within minutes Patrick was dead, shot in the chest by a plainclothes NYPD cop. For nothing.

According to Patrick's friend Kevin Kaiser, a man came up to them and asked if they knew where he could buy marijuana. Patrick told the guy to move on and said he didn't want to talk. The stranger (who was an undercover narcotics cop) persisted. An argument and some kind of scuffle broke out.

Another member of this cop squad, Vasquez, came running up with his gun drawn. He started beating Patrick with the pistol. And then shot him in the chest. The cops reportedly never identified themselves.

Enough! Basta Ya!

This is one more outrage in a long string of police outrages in New York City.

There have been the infamous police murders of Eleanor Bumpers, Nicholas Heyward Jr., Anthony Rosario, Anthony Baez, and many others. There was the brutal police rape of Abner Louima with a broom handle. There were the 41 bullets fired at Amadou Diallo in his own building by the notorious Street Crimes Unit. And then, just a few weeks ago, there was the shameful acquittal of those four cops who murdered Amadou. Finally there was the police execution of Malcolm Ferguson, just days after he joined protests against the Diallo verdict.

Now, the cops have done it again: a plainclothes police unit has executed an unarmed Black man, as he was just standing on the street, breathing while Black.

(CBS) NEW YORK An NYPD cruiser struck and killed a pedestrian early this morning in Harlem, while the police car was rushing to a report of an officer in trouble.

The marked police car hit the pedestrian with such force that the victim dented the hood and smashed the windshield. He was pronounced dead at St. Luke's Hospital less than a half-hour after the collision. The pedestrian, Adam Perez, 31, lived on Manhattan Avenue, a block away from the accident. His next-door neighbor said Perez lived with a roommate for only a few months.

Police say it began at 1:26 AM with a radio call of an "officer in trouble,” and "man with a gun," at 123rd Street and Lenox Avenue. Among the police responding were two officers from the housing bureau. They were in a radio patrol car with flashing lights and siren, according to a police spokesman. But they got only as far as 115th Street, driving northbound on Frederick Douglas Boulevard.

What the two officers apparently couldn't see was a pedestrian crossing diagonally, from southeast to northwest, indicating the man may have had his back to the cruiser. A number of people said they heard the collision, including Katie Guerrero who was in her apartment just above the intersection.

"I heard the sirens from a cop car, and I heard a screech, and I heard a bang," Guerrero said. "And I thought they hit a car, but apparently they hit a person."

At the responding officers' initial destination, 123rd and Lenox, an officer was involved in a dangerous struggle with a potentially armed suspect. Other responding officers, after a short foot chase, helped to arrest an 18-year-old suspect in front of 157 West 123rd St.

No gun was recovered.


APD was targeting area's prostitution 8-26-06 An undercover Albuquerque vice squad officer shot and killed a man during a prostitution investigation in the Northeast Heights, Albuquerque police said today.The shooting occurred around 6 p.m. Tuesday near Wisconsin Street and Copper Avenue Northeast, an area where police recently have had an aggressive operation to reduce street crime, said police spokesman John Walsh.

The officer approached two women, one of whom was a known prostitute, when a man in his 20s came up and pulled an "edged weapon," Walsh said.

The officer fired several shots, killing the man at the scene, Walsh said. Neither the shooting victim nor the officer has been named, he said.

Per department policy, the officer has been placed on three-day leave while the incident is being investigated by a team that includes APD, the State Police, the District Attorney's Office and Bernalillo County Sheriff's Department.

Police Call Shooting 'Tragedy'


Kathryn Johnston


Reported By: Jaye Watson
Web Editor: Michael King
Last Modified: 11/22/2006 7:38:25 PM

Atlanta Police officials say their officers were at the correct address when they attempted to serve a search warrant at a northwest Atlanta home on Tuesday night, because it was their second visit to the same house in a matter of hours.

In a noontime press conference, Assistant Police Chief Alan Dreher told reporters an undercover narcotics officer bought drugs from a man inside Kathryn Johnston's house on Tuesday afternoon.

The officers got into a shootout with the 92-year-old Johnston, killing her. Three APD narcotics detectives were wounded in the melee.

Dreher says after the drug buy, police obtained a search warrant and returned to the house to execute it.

Dreher says the police had a "no knock" warrant, meaning just that -- they did not have to knock before entering. But Dreher added his officers did announce themselves before pushing in Johnston's front door.

Police also said on Wednesday that they did not know a 92-year-old woman was inside the house and that it's virtually impossible in search warrant situations to know who will confront officers upon entry.

Dreher says his officers were in raid uniforms, that a marked patrol car was parked out front, and a uniformed police officer was in the front yard when the officers approached the house. He says that when they forced the door open, Johnston open fire hitting all three officers. None received life threatening injuries. The officers returned fire, killing Johnston.

Police say they did find drugs in the house which are being tested at a lab on Wednesday evening. They say they are searching for the man who sold them the drugs. They do not know if he lived with Johnston or was a relative.

Members of the NAACP attended the press conference and said police gave evasive answers to several questions. Dr. R.L. White, president of the Atlanta chapter, says he's not accusing police of wrongdoing, but he does want to know they did things right.

Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard was at the press conference and said a complete and thorough investigation is underway.

All three officers are on paid administrative leave.

Detroit cops are deadliest in U.S.

Shooting figures need context, officials say

May 15, 2000


Detroit leads the nation's largest cities in the rate of fatal shootings by police, according to a Free Press analysis of FBI statistics.

The Motor City rate is nearly 2 1/2 times higher than New York's rate and more than 1 1/2 times Los Angeles' -- two cities sweating under the national spotlight amid scrutiny for police misconduct.

Detroit Police Chief Benny Napoleon and Wayne County Prosecutor John O'Hair contend that the figures don't take into account factors that might cause Detroit's rate to be so high. They said the rates need to be viewed in the context of violent crime rather than population.

"There is a very violent element in our city," O'Hair said in an interview earlier this month. "It's high-risk, and this is the element the police deal with."

But a national expert said Detroiters should be alarmed.

"As an ex-New York City cop, I have always been amazed at the great interest shown in NYPD shootings by people from cities whose cops are far less restrained with their guns," said James Fyfe, a criminal justice professor at Temple University in Philadelphia. Fyfe said Detroit's fatal shooting rate has dwarfed New York's at least since the 1980s.

Detroit, with nearly 1 million residents, averaged nearly 10 fatal police shootings a year in 1990-98. New York City, with 7.3 million residents, averaged 28 fatal shootings a year during the same period.

The Free Press sought to compare Detroit with other large U.S. cities and tapped into rarely used FBI statistics.

To make the comparison, the Free Press calculated fatal shootings on the basis of the FBI's standard measure, 100,000 residents. Detroit had a rate of 0.92 fatal shootings per 100,000 residents, towering over New York's rate of 0.39 and Los Angeles' 0.56. Houston ranked second with 0.68.

"These are Vietnam kind of numbers," said Detroit lawyer Juan Mateo, one of several lawyers, citizens and former police executives who blame Detroit's high fatal shooting rate on a failure by police brass to properly train officers or aggressively investigate and punish cops who shoot under questionable circumstances.

"Cops are shooting people and getting away with it."

He died of 12 to 16 shots to the back and the palm of one hand.

Homicide detectives and the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office said officers shot in self-defense.


On the night of Aug. 23, 1995, Arp was off duty and dropped in to visit his girlfriend at a bar on Joy Road near West Parkway. Arp, 45, had been a cop for a year.

Arp was in the bar a few minutes, police and court records show, when he was asked to check out the parking lot because a kid was seen messing with a car.

Moments later, gunshots were heard and 14-year-old Charles Clay lay dying on the street. Clay was about 90 feet from Arp, and a screwdriver with a 4-inch blade was near the youth's body.

Arp told investigators the youth ran but suddenly turned on him with a shiny object that Arp believed was a weapon. It was the screwdriver.

The autopsy showed that Clay had been shot in the middle of the back. The bullet's path through his body indicated that he may have been running when hit.

Even so, Sgt. Arlie Lovier of the special assignment squad, who was the officer in charge of the homicide investigation, said it was "a good shooting," with no violations of criminal law or department regulations.

The Wayne County Prosecutor's Office wanted to charge Arp, but couldn't. The office determined that a criminal case was impossible because a Michigan Supreme Court ruling said it was legal for anyone -- civilian or police officer -- to use deadly force to stop a fleeing felon. Assistant prosecutor Michael King said he regretted that he could not bring state charges, "but I feel bound" by the Supreme Court ruling.

A cover-up would be difficult because all fatal shootings are examined by homicide detectives, and reviewed by a board of senior officers and the prosecutor's office. YEH RIGHT


Victim's weapon not found after shoot-out

May 16, 2000

It's the case of the missing handgun.

Around 12:30 a.m. on Oct. 23, 1998, police belatedly responded to a report of shots fired at a reputed dope house in the 12000 block of Roselawn on Detroit's west side.

When police banged on the front door, Liquory Hines, 16, a Mackenzie High School sophomore, and friend Darryl Thrash, 19, panicked and began running around the house, according to police and court records.

Five minutes later, Hines opened the back door as Thrash ran for the attic.

Police Officers Anthony Jackson and Jeffery Manson, crouched in the darkness, said the back door opened and a handgun was aimed at Jackson.

Jackson ordered Hines to drop the weapon, the records show. When Hines didn't, Jackson said, he fired, dove for cover and fired again. Manson fired, too.

Neither officer was hurt. Hines, grazed in the neck, was dragged out of the house. After being treated, Hines, a juvenile, was interrogated at the Homicide Section without a parent or lawyer, a violation of police procedure, his attorney said. He was held for six days by juvenile authorities.

But there were problems with the case. Three searches failed to produce the gun allegedly held by Hines. And the officers couldn't agree on what kind of gun Hines supposedly was holding. One called it nickel-plated, the other blue steel. The Wayne County Prosecutor's Office refused to charge Hines, and he was freed.

The officers were cleared. They did not respond to interview requests.

Hines sued the city, which settled the case for $70,000.

"There was no gun," Southfield attorney David A. Robinson said. "Rather than take the heat for their foul-up, they chose to blame the dumb powerless kid."

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- Police shot and killed a 38-year-old man who had been waving a knife Monday in New Orleans, witnesses said.

The killing occurred about 4 p.m. on St. Charles Avenue in the south Garden District near downtown, after the man -- who has not been publicly identified -- left a Walgreens pharmacy carrying a knife, witnesses said.

Some witnesses said they heard five or six shots, but 10 red cones were placed on the street. The cones are typically used to indicate where shell casings are found.

The city's police force has been under increased scrutiny and strain in the wake of last summer's Hurricane Katrina, when some officers left their jobs and others continued to work long hours despite losing nearly everything in the storm.


Gunfire near a Lake Charles school leaves a man dead. Lake Charles police say they responded to a call about a man behaving strangely near Reynaud Middle School. That's when officers encountered 29 year old Trent Buckins. Officers say the situation become violent, and they tried to taser Buckins but that failed. According to police, Buckins tried to grab an officer's gun, and that's when police opened fire. Buckins was killed. Kids were in the school at the time. The school was locked down while the scene was being investigated. Authorities believe Buckins had a history of mental illness and had just been released from jail. The Lake Charles Police Department and the Louisiana State Police are both conducting their own investigations into the shooting.


disabled man

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- Autopsy results obtained by CNN show a mentally disabled man was shot in the back when he was killed by New Orleans police in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

This contradicts testimony by a police sergeant that the victim had turned toward officers and was reaching into his waistband when shot.

"Clearly he was shot from behind," said famed New York pathologist Dr. Michael Baden, who examined the body for the family's lawyer. (Watch where the man died and details of the autopsy -- 5:04)

A prosecutor said the case will go before a grand jury soon and acknowledged the investigation includes the possibility of police wrong-doing.

Ronald Madison, 40, was mentally disabled and lived at home with his mother. He had no criminal record. He was shot when police responded to a report of gunfire on a bridge over the flooded Industrial Canal on Sunday, September 4, six days after Katrina hit New Orleans last year.

It was a week of dire flooding, rampant looting, death by drowning. Police were strained, beset by suicides and desertion. Four people were killed in confrontations with police that weekend alone.

Madison's older brother, Lance, said he and Ronald were walking across the Danziger bridge toward another brother's dental office when teen-agers ran up behind him and opened fire that Sunday morning.

By his account, he and Ronald were running away toward the crest of the bridge when a police team, responding to the report of gunshots, arrived in a rental truck and opened fire on people on the bridge.

Police Superintendent Warren Riley told CNN, "Several of the people were shot and two were killed by our officers in a running gun battle... Most police shoot-outs last somewhere between six and twelve seconds, and it's over with. This was a running gun battle that went on several minutes."

One teen-ager, still unidentified, was killed near the base of the bridge. Another was critically wounded. Three other people with them were also shot and were hospitalized.

Lance Madison said a policeman pointed a rifle at Ronald and shot him as the two of them were running up the bridge. Lance said he helped carry his wounded brother to a motel on the other side of the canal and left him there as Lance kept running to seek help.

The Police Department said in a press release last fall that Ronald Madison, whom it called a second unidentified gunman, "was confronted by a New Orleans Police Officer. The suspect reached into his waist and turned toward the officer who fired one shot fatally wounding him."

Testifying in a preliminary hearing last fall, Police Sgt. Arthur Kaufman said much the same thing: "One subject turned, reached in his waistband, turned on the officers."

Autopsy results, made available to CNN by a source involved in the investigation, directly contradict that police account.

The findings list five separate gunshot wounds in Ronald Madison's back. Three went through the body and exited in front. There were two other wounds in his right shoulder. None of the shots entered his body from the front.


LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A man who was videotaped running at police following a car chase was fatally shot when an officer apparently mistook an item he was holding for a gun, authorities said.

Joseph Scott Spidell, 45, was pronounced dead at a hospital. Officers later discovered he had been holding a socket used to remove spark plugs, police Lt. Paul Vernon said Wednesday.

They killed a Good Mechanic


MIAMI - Under rainy, gray skies Wednesday, an agitated man aboard an American Airlines flight just minutes from takeoff at Miami International Airport rushed toward the cockpit and yelled that he was carrying a bomb in his backpack. The woman shouted that the man was mentally ill and hadn't taken his medicine. The man ran out of the plane - which was boarding passengers - and air marshals "came out of their cover" and pursued him, authorities said. Two air marshals on board chased the man into the jetway then shot and killed him, making it the first time that air marshals have fired on an airline passenger in the United States. Victim's weapon not found after shooting


SAN DIEGO -- San Diego police are investigating an officer-involved shooting of a naked man who was masturbating alongside a public bike path.

Problems Started Almost Immediately
The shooting occurred where the path passes under Interstate 8, near the city's Ocean Beach/Mission Beach area, police reported.Patrol officers had gone to the area about a half-hour earlier on reports of a naked man masturbating in public view, the San Diego Police Department's Bill Robinson said.

"The officer contacted him and initially, I was told, the man was laying on his side and for whatever reason the guy got up and started fighting with the officer," Capt. Ron Newman said.
According to police, the officer tried using mace and using a restraining hold, but without success.
Newman said the officer drew his gun when the man grabbed a large rock shooting him fatally

San Francisco Officers Mistakenly Kill Unarmed Man

Two San Francisco police officers who shot and killed an unarmed man in the darkened attic of an apartment mistook him for a trespasser with a gun, police officials said Wednesday.

Asa B. Sullivan, 25, had his arms outstretched and was holding a "cylindrical object" when the officers confronted him Tuesday night in the apartment near Lake Merced, prompting them to open fire, said Police Chief Heather Fong. The object turned out to be an eyeglasses case.


Gus Rugley was a young man who worked six days a week and was devoted to his family.

In recognition of Governmental Terrorism Month, we had to highlight the San Francisco police execution of 21-year-old Gustavus Rugley. Thirty-six bullets were retrieved from his body. No one on the police force has been indicted for his murder or even lost their job.

Welcome to Amerikkka, ladies and gentleman, where Black people are murdered with impunity. Check out this story from one of Gus’ family members:

His real name is Gustavus Rugley, but we called him Gus. He was executed on June 29, 2004, at 6:30 p.m.

Gus had been under surveillance that day from 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. He left the house twice on foot. The third time he left the house, I noticed that his truck was not sitting in the front of the house.

Mr. Rugley was watched by over 20 officers — there was the gang task force, homicide, special units and tactical units. These are major players with M-16s and AR-15s — the heavy artillery. They carry 30- and 60-bullet clips in their guns.

They were on a mission that day, and Gus was just a suspect. He was never once questioned, apprehended, asked to come to the station. As I said, he left twice that day, not one person ever tried to stop him.

San Francisco Police have this thing that is called the kill-time. They say at 6:30 p.m. it is rush hour, and they need to protect the public from anyone who is doing something erroneous — such as driving his car recklessly or doing something that they consider crazy.

This is the streets of San Francisco, not Baghdad — a young man, unarmed, no drugs in his system, shot 36 times, six times in the head, by the SFPD.

But those of you who live in the city know that (the intersection at) Alemany Boulevard and Ocean Avenue, at 6:30 p.m., is congested with traffic both ways. There is no way that you could bob and weave in and out of cars there.

I want to touch on the end of the chase: Gus had given up. His hands were up in the air.

A witness, Anna Catreras, said Mr. Rugley sat in his truck and an officer in a light blue sweatshirt walked up, opened up the back passenger door of Gus’ vehicle and proceeded to unload her gun. Ms. Catreras’ later said that her statement was completely turned around in a July 2004 Chronicle story. She never said that Mr. Rugley was shooting back.

After he was shot, the command was given for Mr. Rugley to come out of the truck with his hands up. But he was dead.

The whole force shot at Gustavus Rugley. His right temple was struck, and his body on the whole right side had bullet holes.

This is an unjustified use of a firearm in the worst way. He was dead, and they all knew that.

Gus Shot Up By POlice

What “brave” officer shot Gus at point blank range? He couldn’t have been afraid of Gus, or he wouldn’t be that close.

And then do you know what they said? “He was shooting at us.”

The family got an autopsy nine and a half months later. It took them so long to give it to Ms. Pollard because they were hiding things. They knew public outcry was going to be so bad that we were going to tear the city up. But we’re not a family like that.

We just want to find out what really happened here, and we want justice. We want justice for Gus, who is no longer here.

I told y’all that it took nine and a half months to give my family the autopsy report. But let’s go back: It took almost three weeks for them to release his body — that was another cover-up.

The autopsy report stated that there was no gunpowder residue on the fronts or the backs of this young man’s hands and none on his clothing. So who the hell was shooting at who?

I think that this is an injustice in the worse way. Gustavus had 36 bullets — not 32, not 31 — but 36 bullets in him, with six being in his head. He had a temple shot at close range and was shot from front to back, back to front, right to left and left to right.

That’s an execution! You shouldn’t be able to justify shooting someone like that.

They say during the chase Gus hit four of their police cars. Even I know that if you bump a police car, they’re going to shoot you dead on the first bump. We’re talking about four cars hit by the end of the chase — I don’t think so.

There was no airbag deployed, not in the police cars or in Gus’ truck. So that is another story that they webbed, and it’s another lie. Police will lie, lie, lie, lie. This is a web of lies.

We’re still finding out facts, and here’s another one: The young man that Gus is accused of killing — Gus did not kill him. And even the police knew Gus didn’t kill him. But they made him a suspect, got a $1 million warrant and came and hunted him down like a wild piece of meat.

When Mr. Rugley was walking on the streets, before he got to his truck, not one officer tried to apprehend him and say, “You’re under arrest.” They baited him to get him into his truck.

They were in unmarked cars — all the officers were in plain clothes. No lights, no sirens. Now what kind of high speed chase goes on with no lights and no sirens and at the end the suspect is dead? You tell me.

It was all about an execution, and at the end Gustavus Rugley was executed. For more information, email Justice4Gus at



William Wilkins, 29, black Panamanian-American
Undercover Oakland policeman for 7 years, killed by 11 bullets from
Oakland uniformed rookies Tim Scarrott, 23, and Andrew Koponen, 29,
allegedly unaware Wilkins (holding a gun on someone he was arresting)
was OPD. Four days later, OPD said the killers "followed procedure" and
returned them to duty, January 12th, 2001

19 June 2001: Yi Tzu Chen
43 year-old female Killed by SJPD Bruce Young when he rammed his cruiser into her stalled
car on I680 in Fremont. CHP reported Young did 86 in 65mph zone and was
primarily at fault. As a result, DA charged Young with vehicular
manslaughter but police attorneys convinced DA to dismiss charges.

Jamil Wheatfall, 36 years old, Afro-American beaten to death by Oakland
police, 4/14/2001

Bruce Seward, 42 years old, shot and killed by BART police, 5/25/2001

Idriss Stelley, 23 years old, French-American man shot to death by San
Francisco police, 6/13/2001

Fernando Aguilar-Garcia, 27 years old, shot and killed by Santa Clara Sheriff's deputy just outside the city limits of Gilroy, and after Garcia allegedly displayed a stolen Gilroy Police Officer's handgun and pointed it at the deputy during a foot chase, 9/11/2001

Ernesto Donald Smith, 65 years old, shot and killed by Martinez police,

Michael Valdez, 41 years old, shot and killed by Richmond police, 11/23/2001

2001: "white" person
According to San Jose police auditor's report, at some time in 2001
before shooting Richard Sharp, SJPD fatally shot another "white", who
was allegedly armed with rifle and pistol. I haven't been able to find
any other reports of this.

Richard Sharp, 53 years old, shot and killed by San Jose police, 12/23/2001

Pedro Calderon, a 20 year-old Latino man, was shot and killed by Palo Alto police officer Jessica Perryman. He supposedly matched the physical description of a prior burglary suspect. He was allegedly driving a stolen car to flee from the police, and they said that he had pinned Perryman against a car before she and Officer Jeff Bell of the Stanford Department of Public Safety shot at him. A grand jury declined to indict either officer, but Bell did not return to patrol duty- he used his accrued vacation time to wait for his retirement to begin. His family was not informed of his death until 36 hours later. Calderon was killed on 3/20/2002

Gregory Hooper, 37 years old, Afro-American man shot and killed by
off-duty San Francisco police. 2/2/2002

Richard Tims, 36 years old, Afro-American man, shot and killed by San
Francisco police, 3/15/2002

Unidentified man, shot and killed by Santa Clara police, 3/24/2002

Joshua Russell, 19 years old, Afro-American, shot and killed by Oakland
police, 3/27/2002

Rashan Hill, 18 years old, Afro-American, shot and killed by Oakland
police, 6/5/2002

Unidentified naked man, shot and killed by San Francisco police, 6/14/2002

Unidentified man, shot and killed by Vallejo police, 9/8/2002

Jihad Alim Akbar, 28 years old, shot and killed by San Francisco police,

Fred Moraga, 38 years old, shot and killed by Burlingame police, 11/3/2002

Rick Escobedo, 39 years old, Chicano man brutally beaten and killed by
Redwood City Police, 11/17/2002

Gregory Lewis, 40 years old, beaten and killed by Hayward police, 11/28/2002

Michael Moll, 19 years old, Caucasian, shot and killed by San Francisco
Police, 2/19/2003

Homero Campos, 23 years old, shot and killed by San Jose police, 5/7/2003

Michael Vega, 25 years old, shot and killed by Concord police, 5/10/2003

Robert Freeman, 16 years old, killed by Richmond Police, 6/12/2003

Cau Thi Bich Tran, 25 year-old Vietnamese mother of two, shot and killed by Chad Marshall of the San Jose Police while she was standing in her kitchen holding a vegetable peeler, 07/13/03

Glennel Givens, African American man, 28 years old, killed by Berkeley
Police, 7/25/2003

Kevin Larson Smith, 27 years old. killed by Vallejo police on 8/2/2003

Glen Willis 47, Afro-American shot and killed by Oakland police on 8/7/2003

Cherie Wallace, Killed by police (in San Ramon) on 8/15/2003

Cary James Grimé, 47 year-old Caucasian man, beaten to death by Marin
County sheriffs department in San Rafael, CA on 8/17/2003

Terrance Mearis, 20 years old, African-American, killed by Oakland Police,

Roland Tugade, 42 years old, shot and killed by Vallejo police on 10/19/2003

Deon Whitfield, 17, found hanged in his California Youth Authority (CYA)
cell On January 19th, 2004

Durrell Feaster, 18, found hanged in his California Youth Authority (CYA)
cell On January 19th, 2004

Roberto Lombana, 18, died after somehow ingesting a cleaning fluid in a
CYA Facility, 01/12/04

Rudy Cardenas, Latino man, 43 years old, killed by a State Narcotics Agent
in San Jose, Calif 2/17/2004

Francisco Reyes, 25, Hispanic male. He was shot by the SJPD while he was in an allegedly stolen car. He died when the car crashed into a tree. The police auditor reported he was unarmed, 2/18/2004

Tyrone Hughes Jr. died in Berkeley police custody, March 2004

Alfred Farrar, 59 year old white male, shot by San Jose police. The police auditor reported he shot at SJPD with a handgun. 3/6/2004

Jaden Edward Soto, 34, was shot and killed by a California Highway Patrol officer in Sunol, 4/24/2004

Cammerin Boyd, African American man, 29 years old, killed by San Francisco
Police, 5/05/2004

John Ho, 43, Asian male, killed by San Jose police after a standoff. The police auditor reported that he did not shoot at the police. 6/4/2004

Timothy Diaz, 32 years old, shot and killed by Vallejo police, 6/21/2004

Gustavus Rugley, 21 years old, shot and killed by San Francisco Police,

Johnnie Nakao, 21 years old, shot and killed by San Jose Police, 08/12/04. He was the son of Santa Clara County Sheriff's Deputy John

Dyron Mandell Brewer, 24 year-old African-American male, found dead in his
cell at N.A. Chaderjian Youth Correctional Facility (commonly known as
"Chad"), on 9/5/2004.

Zaim Bojcic, 40 year old male, Bosnian, concentration camp survivor;
tasered and then shot by the San Jose Police, 9/26/2004

Floyd Neamiah Strong, 23 year old male, shot by Vallejo police, 9/11/2004

Andrew Washington, 21, died in Vallejo police custody after foot chase and tasering, 9/15/2004. 2nd death in custody of Vallejo police that week.

Michael Robert Rosa, 38, died after Seaside police used tasers on him multiple times, 8/29/2004

Andre "Dre" Brown, 40, swallowed a bag of cocaine and a bag of heroin as he was being arrested in San Francisco's Tenderloin District. His family wanted an investigation into whether police used excessive force by hitting Brown with a baton, possibly contributing to his death. His uncle also questioned whether police could have administered CPR to Brown before the ambulance arrived, 11/23/04

Martin Louie Castro Soriano, shot and killed by UC Davis campus police, 12/14/04

Evaristo Barajas, 36 year old man, shot and killed by Redwood City police who tased him at least twice, fired rubber dowels at him. pepper sprayed him, and used negotiators. He had allegedly been holding a machete. 1/2/05

Greg Saulsbury, 30, died after being stunned with Tasers by police in Pacifica. His father had also been tased, but he survived, 1/2/05

Eric Kleemeyer, a 22 year-old white man, was killed by Santa Clara Police on January 4th, 2005. He allegedly did not pull over, as he was driving to his mother's house. He was unarmed and feared for his life, due to a previous beating that had gone unreported. The family later learned of a third car that had pinned Eric in when he was shot. His family believes that after the shooting, the cars were moved to make the scene look like Eric had rammed a police car. 1/4/05

Andres Raya in Ceres, Latino Marine on shooting rampage at a
convenience store, shot and killed by Ceres police. In the aftermath, he is accused of gang membership and
Latinos in the area are increasingly harassed by police, 1/9/05

Hai Nguyen, 22, a Vietnamese young man, was shot and killed by San Jose police officer Richard Foster. He was killed after aalleged standoff in which he allegedly pointed his gun at the police. Nguyen's stepmother had called police after coming home around 11 p.m. and hearing what she thought were shots being fired inside. 1/22/2005

Robert Heston, a 40 year-old male, died a day after Salinas police had shot him five times with taser guns. 2/20/2005 Salinas

Kamal Lal, 43, shot and killed by CHP in Belmont following a car chase up and down the Peninsula south of San Francisco. Belmont Police set up an "investigation" after this killing, 3/06/05

Jie Wang, 25, Chinese PhD student at UC Berkeley, died 15 days after being hit by Albany police car in
Berkeley, 3/10/05

Fernando Casares, 37
Initial reports said he died outside his Redwood City home after a
brief struggle with San Mateo County Sheriff deputies, who doused him
with pepper spray, pushed him to the ground and possibly hit him on the
head with a flashlight. An autopsy determined that he had a heart
attack due to cocaine intoxication and that pepper-spray inhalation and
the physical struggle had contributed. He was unarmed. A popular
employee at Palo Alto Whole Foods Market, his death reportedly left
coworkers in disbelief. They said they never saw evidence of drinking
or drugs, just a quiet, even-tempered, hard worker. Family members said
he had past drug problems, but had been clean for several years. 3/15/2005

Julio Armando Ayala, 26 year-old Salvadoran man, killed by South San Francisco police when they used a body wrap on him, 4/3/05.

Samuel Martinez, 34 year old Latino man. Martinez was tasered and then shot and killed by a San Jose police officer after police were called during a domestic dispute, 5/27/05

Julio Paredes, 23, died after an Emeryville officer shot him at about 3:45 a.m. in the parking lot of a casino. He had allegedly pinned the officer with a stolen car, and was shot 3 times through the windshield, 07/04/2005

Carlos Casillas Fernandez, 31 years old, died after a lengthy struggle with Santa Rosa police in which he was zapped six times with Taser stun guns, pepper sprayed, and briefly knocked unconscious with a neck restraint, on 07/16/05. His wife said he did not resist.

Troy William Guido, 33, drowned following a traffic stop with Foster City Police, 7/18/2005

Edenar Talens, 36, mentally ill man shot by California Highway Patrol. His parents were transporting him to the hospital when he opened
the car door and fell out. 8/1/2005

Brian Patrick O'Neill, a 33 year-old man who was pepper-sprayed, shot twice with a taser, and struck on the chin with a baton by San Jose Police and "abruptly" collapsed and later died in the hospital. When police began to tie his arms and legs with nylon restraints, he collapsed and stopped breathing, 8/1/2005

Eric Mahoney, 33, tased by Fremont police on July 29th, 2005. The first time he was tased, one of the prongs had missed him. The officer struggled with him and then used the Taser seven or eight times in the "drive-stun" mode. Mahoney was admitted to the hospital that night, which police said was a routine precaution for Taser victims. Police said that Mahoney passed out in the hospital and was admitted to the intensive care unit. At some point, he was declared brain dead. The family hired attorney John Burris, who demanded that an autopsy be conducted. Eric Mahoney died on 8/3/2005.

Armando Quintana Aguilar, 33, of East Palo Alto was fatally shot by a Santa Clara County sheriff's deputy shot , a 33-year-old East Palo Alto man, in an exchange of gunfire during a raid on a marijuana farm near Los Gatos. 08/05/2005

Kwang Tae Lee, age 61 (8/11), and Richard Kim, age 49 (8/14), both Korean men, were shot and killed as a result of a confrontation with Alameda County Sheriff's Deputies in Dublin. The two men had been arguing, and Kim had allegedly fled to an upstairs bedroom for safety. Lee, who the deputies say was holding a knife, was tryring to get into the bedroom when the deputies arrived. The deputies allegedly feared for their safety, and that of another person, so they fired their guns. Lee had come from South Korea to visit his sister and Kim, who was her husband. 8/11/2005 and 8/14/2005
Police say Maurice Milligan was killed August 31st when he attempted to rob a Wells Fargo Bank in the Contra Costa County city of Brentwood. He was unarmed. 8/31/05

Steven L. Fountain. 24 year old white man, tased and fatally shot by Campbell police. He had been yelling outside of his hotel room, saying that there was someone in his room. 9/7/2005

An unnamed man was fatally shot by a Santa Clara County sheriff's deputy. He had allegedly been wandering through a Los Altos Hills neighborhood with a bloody machete on a Wednesday morning. The police had responded to a 911 call that a man had assaulted a woman with a large knife. The man was found near the Los Altos Golf and Country Club and shot. 09/14/2005

Craig Holden, 22, died while in custody at the Bayview Police Station in San Francisco. He had been left unattended during an asthma attack. 9/21/05

David Anthony Cross, 44, of Santa Cruz, lost consciousness during a struggle with jail deputies and died the next day, on 9/18/05

On Saturday, June 24th, 2006, Oliver ("Big O") Lefiti, a 37 year-old Samoan man, was fatally shot by San Francisco police on Capp Street, between 15th and 16th Streets. He died the next day at SF General Hospital, surrounded by family members. The media has portrayed Big O as a "suspected drug dealer," although no weapons or drugs were found at the scene of the fatal shooting.

Karen Eklund, 31, shot by California Highway Patrol while surrendering after a 40-mile car chase in the early morning of March 23, 2006. The CHP is reportedly one of few local law enforcement agencies that have not adopted policies barring pursuits of nonviolent suspects such as car thieves. Six CHP officers had reportedly been killed in the five months preceding the shooting of Eklund.

ASA Sullivan, 25, a black man who was the father of a five year-old boy, was shot numerous times while in a 2 1/2 foot crawling space on June 6th, 2006. He was holding an eye glasses case that was "mistaken" for a gun. Police originally said that Asa was armed and had fired through the ceiling, narrowly missing one officer, and that two other officers then opened fire into the ceiling; however, it turned out to have been a ricocheting bullet fired by one of the officers.

Charles Breed, 33 of San Francisco, an alleged "gang member," was shot by SFPD in the Bayview District on August 27th, 2006. Police said that he had fired shots at them, and that he may have been involved in the killings of two people around the corner. Breed was one of 5 people who were killed in that neighborhood on that day.


Officer KKKarl Thompson was accused of brutally beating Otto Zehm, a 36-year-old schizophrenic, and then lying about it to investigators. Zehm died from his injuries two days after the encounter.

Thompson showed no reaction as the verdict was read. One of his lawyers, Carl Oreskovich, called the decision devastating and vowed to appeal.

"We think we represented an innocent man," Oreskovich said. "This is not over."

U.S. Attorney Mike Ormsby said the case had to be brought because there were too many questions about what exactly happened the night Zehm died. But he cautioned against seeing the charges as an "indictment of our entire police department."



Bad Cops


Cops sentenced for Katrina killings

Former police officers get up to 65 years each for their role in the shooting of New Orleans residents. Cover-up attempt

Houston officer kills double amputee in wheelchair
By The Associated Press | Associated Press – 3 hrs ago

HOUSTON (AP) — A Houston police officer shot and killed a one-armed, one-legged man in a wheelchair Saturday inside a group home after police say the double amputee threatened the officer and aggressively waved a metal object that turned out to be a pen.
Police spokeswoman Jodi Silva said the man cornered the officer in his wheelchair and was making threats while trying to stab the officer with the pen. At the time, the officer did not know what the metal object was that the man was waving, Silva said.
She said the man came "within inches to a foot" of the officer and did not follow instructions to calm down and remain still.
"Fearing for his partner's safety and his own safety, he discharged his weapon," Silva told The Associated Press.
Police did not immediately release the name of the man who was killed. They had been called to the home after a caretaker there called and reported that the man in wheelchair was causing a disturbance.
The owner of the group home, John Garcia, told the Houston Chronicle that the man had a history of mental illness and had been living at the house about 18 months. Garcia said the man had told him that he lost a leg above the knee and all of one arm when he was hit by a train.
"He sometimes would go off a bit, but you just ignore it," Garcia told the newspaper.
Silva identified the officer as Matthew Jacob Marin, a five-year veteran of the department. He was immediately placed on three-day administrative leave, which is standard in all shootings involving officers.
Houston police records indicate that Marin also fatally shot a suspect in 2009. Investigators at the time said Marin came upon a man stabbing his neighbor to death at an apartment complex and opened fired when the suspect refused to drop the knife.
On Saturday, Marin and his partner arrived at the group home around 2:30 a.m. Silva said there were several people at the house at the time. The caretaker who called police waited on the porch while the officers went inside, she said.
"It was close quarters in the area of the house," Silva said. "The officer was forced into an area where he had no way to get out."



cops kill again

Two police officers shot and killed DeVillena after he ignored their demands that he stop his car and then rammed one officer with his car, according to Palm Springs police.

At 1:59 a.m. Saturday, two bike patrol officers, out to observe the closing of area bars in downtown Palm Springs, heard people yelling inside a parking structure and walking toward a black Chrysler 300, police said.

The officers then recognized two men whom they had earlier suspected of public intoxication but allowed to leave without incident, police said.

The men, who had entered the car, then yelled derogatory words at the officers, who got off their bikes and approached the car. The driver, later identified as DeVillena, refused to obey the officer’s command to shut off the engine and then started to maneuver the car, police said.

One officer leapt into the passenger side window and was partially inside the car. The driver continued to drive anyway and then accelerated the car toward the other officer and hit him, police said.

The driver finally crashed into the garage’s exit after both police officers, in fear of their safety, had fired their service guns at him, police said.

An emergency medical crew soon arrived, but DeVillena was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

The male passenger of the car was not harmed, but police arrested him for public intoxication and an outstanding misdemeanor warrant.

Soon after the shooting, police were contacted by a person who claimed to have been robbed of his wallet and cell phone in downtown Palm Springs.

Police later found the missing phone inside DeVillena’s car and recovered the theft victim’s identification card and ATM card from inside DeVillena’s pants pocket, police said.


Police Shoot Man Over 40 Times (Video)




Criminals killed more police officers in 2011 than in any year since 1995, according to data released Monday by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

But the spike appears to have disappeared as fast as it arrived. According to preliminary data from the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, violence against cops has plunged more than 20% in 2012 compared to this time last year.

Seventy-two law enforcement officers were killed in 2011, according to the FBI's annual Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted report, with all but nine dying of gunshot wounds.

That's a jump from 56 officers killed in 2010, 48 in 2009, 41 in 2008, and 58 in 2007. The jump also runs against the grain of an overall 4% drop in violent crimes all across the U.S. as the country continues a long plunge in crime.

Those killed include San Diego's Jeremy Henwood, who was shot and killed at a stop sign in what police at the time called an "absolutely unprovoked" attack.

"Of the 72 officers feloniously killed, 23 were killed in arrest situations, 15 were ambushed, 11 were involved in performing traffic pursuits/stops, nine were involved in tactical situations, and seven were answering disturbance calls," the FBI said in a release. "Five of the slain officers were investigating suspicious persons/circumstances; one was conducting an investigative activity, such as surveillance, searches, or interviews; and one officer was killed while transporting or maintaining the custody of prisoners."

Steve Groeninger, spokesman for the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, which acts as a nongovernmental clearinghouse for data on fallen officers, told the Los Angeles Times, "What we kept hearing over and over, it was criminals that had little to lose, so they were inclined to take their chances and shoot their way out of the situation."

Groeninger said the number of officers killed by gunfire was at its highest since the 1970s, when there were about three times as many violent crimes happening per year in the U.S.


Police ARE eveN Killing in Kenya

 John Kioko MuthiniNAIROBI, Kenya — John Kioko Muthini, a high school student, was playing pool with his friends a little more than two weeks ago in a slum on this city’s fringe when two police officers walked in, looking for a thief. They ordered everyone to their knees, and then, numerous witnesses said, they shot Mr. Muthini in the head. His friends said that his last words, as he begged for his life, were “It’s not me.”


"For the first time in 14 years, firearms surpassed traffic fatalities," said Groeninger, who said his organization takes no stance on gun control. "The great news is so far the numbers in 2012 are down significantly. We’re down 20% overall [in officer fatalities] and firearms are down 35%."

Outside of criminal attacks, another 53 officers died in accidents in 2011 -- a drop from 72 in 2010 -- with 54,774 officers assaulted on duty, according to the FBI. 

As of Monday, the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund's numbers said 112 officers overall had died in the line of duty thus far in 2012, compared to 142 deaths this time last year.






Michael Brown autopsy